The Fenix History
“The two historic Fenix warehouses are located on the Veerlaan in Katendrecht, located on the Rijnhaven. The original warehouse originate from around 1923. This is approximately the same period in which the existing old center of Katendrecht was built (around 1880-1900). The warehouses were once built under the name “San Francisco” and were the largest harbour storage warehouses in the world around 1923. The original warehouses were housed in a volume of approximately three hundred meters, which stretched over a large part of the north flank of Katendrecht. The warehouses were open at the bottom. An “arcade” ran along Deliplein, where covered wagons and later the first trucks could load and unload. There were also some openings in this arcade that offered a view of the quay and the Rijnhaven from the square.